Friday, October 28, 2011

I won't tell if you won't . . .

I found these pictures the other day, and thought I would show them to you. 

(Looks over shoulder) But you hafta promise not to laugh.

(Looks to the right, then the left) And you hafta not tell anybody else, OK?

(Whispering) Because the quilt police will get me!!!

This is the story of one of the first quilts I ever made -- and I broke some rules, doing it! I know a lot of you have made disappearing nine-patch quilts before, right? Right. You start with a block like this:


Then you cut it into four pieces, and sew it back together! You get a block that looks like this now, right?


Right.

Now, at the time, Elby hadn't even decided on a major of applied computer science, much less put together a cool cyber space design wall, so I had no idea what it was going to look like.

But, when you put them all together, you get a pattern like this:


OK. So I got that done, and I was pretty tickled about it. But I didn't have anything to use for the back. I needed something that would look nice for a child, since this was a quilt for a baby, or a younger child.

This is the part you have to be really quiet about, OK? Here is a picture of the pieced back of the quilt:


Now that I think about it, I kinda like that back better than the front! Anybody been there before? If you look closely, you'll see why I might get in trouble with the quilt police . . . there are squares there that are not cotton! (Gasp!) They are flannel! (Double gasp!) Seriously, I used what I had, and some of them are vintage flannel scraps, and look like they might have been pajamas! Cowboys and horsies and fun stuff like that!

We can go back to the front to show how I hand-quilted it:


Since I was what Madame Samm would call a "wantobe" quilter at the time, I guess it's alright! 

Hope you've enjoyed seeing my trip down Quilting Memory Lane!

Love,


17 comments:

  1. Hey - no quilt police here. And phooey on them, cuz now flannel is 'IN' as well as Minky and Cuddly. See , you were ahead of the trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a rebel and like to break the rules. Did the sky fall in? nope, was anybody hurt in the making of this quilt? nope, unless the children had the Pajamas riped from their backs (they didn't, did they???) Isn't that how it all started with recycling. No rules in this house, and your quilt turned out lovely. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilt police? There's quilt police? Well, I would sure be handcuffed and taken to the slammer if they looked at my quilts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt! And I think the quilt police's day is over - no rules allowed here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! I think it's beautiful! I don't know "rules" and technical stuff, I just do what works for me, most of the time. =) I won't tell if you don't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think it's adorable!!!!! It doesn't matter if you have some flannel mixed in with the cotton!! Imagine how much fun the child would have looking at all of the different prints =D That's all that matters!! I think you did a great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a quilt basted and ready to quilt right now that falls into the "I like the back better than the front" category...

    I'll link back to this post when I blog about it after it is complete.

    Paul
    www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I don't thing there's a *wrong* quilt. If you like it, it's good! And I think it's fun and happy quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first quilt I ever made, The Ugliest Quilt In The World, is the one quilt at the family beach cabin that is allowed to be taken out onto the beach and put out on the sand. I made it in the 1970's when I was in college, and poor. It is made from scraps of things I made for myself, or college friends who were suddenly having babies (ahem) and random bits of this and that. Cotton, polyester, terry cloth, slithery slinky silky stuff. The batting is an old mattress pad and some towels. The backing is some fire engine red twill that my mom had leftover from when she made all of us kids sleeping bags back in the 1960's. It is ugly and indestructible and every square tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Snoodles ... Quilting is thingwhich I want to do ...I never tried it but in extreme love for that... ove your multi coloured very much...
    Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet words... I am your newest follower too...
    With love
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com
    farah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, thanks so much for stopping by my blog, http://babyfeetandpuppybreath.blogspot.com/
    I am now following you back.

    Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are defintely doing great for a 'wantabe' quilter! WOW! And I love the colors of the back of that quilt...looks so pretty and cuddly! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your first quilt is great! Mine is laughable. Sure, I was 9 and I really didn't know what I was doing. None of the blocks are even the same size!! And my Mom didn't sew so she couldn't help me either.
    Didn't quilt for a long time after that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks good to me (a non-quilter)! Thank you for braving the QP to show it to us. I am a new follower. thank for visiting my blog & following. I love meeting new friends! Visit me at Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/
    Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I look back at my first few projects I did after I started quilting again, I am less than pleased with what I see. I am sure that at the end of next year, I will ask myself what I was thinking when I put "those" colors together. The good thing about all these projects is that they are all learning experiences. Your quilt is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Great quilts! I love hearing the stories of our first quilts... When I posted about my first quilt, I wasn't sure I should post it or even admit I made it! But I did and I am glad I did and I tweeted it too... so I even heard from Mark Lipinski on twitter about posting about your first quilt and them memories it stirs up. Thanks for the great share!

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy to hear from you! I try to respond to all comments, but lately blogger has made that difficult! If you do not receive a reply, it may be because your profile is set on "no-reply". Edit your profile, and click "show my email address" and we'll be able to talk!
Please do not leave links to un-related blogs or products. That is not good etiquette and they will be deleted! :)